We try to run Walnut Tree Garden Nursery in the most environmentally friendly manner possible. These are some of the steps we have taken:
1. We only use peat free compost although occasionally young plants and propagation stock arrives in peat-based composts. The balance of composts on the nursery is at least 90% peat free compared to peat.
2. We clean and re-use long life plastic pots where possible.
3. Customers can return the pots that came from us for re-use.
4. No single-use pots or trays (e.g. polystyrene bedding trays) are ever used.
5. We always hand water and do not use overhead sprinklers in order to minimise water waste.
6. We use biological control of pests where possible (e.g. parasitic nematodes against vine weevil)
7. We only use the bare minimum use of pesticides and fungicides – strictly on an 'as needed’ basis –after dusk and only on foliage to protect pollen and nectar seeking insects.
8. Mains electricity is 100% renewable, purchased from Bulb
9. Electricity is also supplied by on-site photovoltaic panels during daylight hours
10. Since May 2020 we donate to COTAP.org carbon-offset projects in order to compensate for carbon emissions relating to all aspect of our business (pot and compost production, deliveries, mail order couriers, leaflet printing and so on) . As of November 2020 we have purchased 28 tonnes of carbon offsets.
11. We propagate as much of our stock on-site as possible, which reduces carbon miles. Propagation material that we buy in is at as small a growth stage as possible to minimise carbon miles. We often propagate from seeds: for example, a batch of seeds arriving by post might weight no more than 50-100 grams but which we will grow on to produce to 2-3,000 plants, in peat free compost, often in pre-used pots.
12. In addition to all the herbaceous perennials and woody shrubs that we sell, we also sell approximately 500 trees annually. Therefore, since we started the business in 1998 we have sold some 21,000 trees, hopefully leading to a cascade of environmental benefits in our customer's gardens.